Auditions: Shakespeare’s Other Women
"Shakespeare’s Other Women: A New Anthology of Monologues" by Scott Kaiser
Director: Dr. Deb Currier
The Play…It’s 1623, and editors John Heminges and Henry Condell have finally finished assembling the Bard’s Complete Works. But what to do with all those surplus women’s monologues they’ve cut out? Shakespeare’s Other Women puts a spotlight on the women in Shakespeare who deserve a bigger voice and more stage time. The play features a large, diverse cast of dozens of strong female characters, with 36 new speeches that Shakespeare should have written, but didn’t.
PLEASE NOTE: All roles are open to people of any gender identity, and students of all gender identities are encouraged to audition. See complete details on how to audition and rehearsal info below. Questions? Email the Director, Dr. Deb Currier.
Saturday, February 17 by 12 p.m. (noon). No late submissions accepted.
Rehearsal and Performance dates
Rehearsals and performances will be held in person, following COVID-19 safety guidelines.
- Live Cast Rehearsals will be held in person, Mondays through Fridays starting April 12.
- Rehearsals will be held weekday evenings 6 to 10 p.m.
- Recorded Cast Rehearsals will be held on Zoom until filming day. Dates/Times TBA.
- All Pre-Recorded Monologues will be filmed on Sunday, May 16. Specific times TBA
- All day technical rehearsals may be held the weekend of May 22.
- Performances are May 28 and 29; and June 4 and 5.
- Rehearsals and Performances will be held in person, following Covid-19 Safety guidelines.
- The Performances will be live streamed.
Auditions for this project will be by video submission only.
Instructions for your audition
- Please be familiar with the script before auditioning. Script samples.
- Choose one monologue, 1-2 minutes in length, modern or contemporary in style
- Film your work: please include you in the frame, and do your best to find a quiet, well-lit space.
Instructions for your submission
- Deadline for submissions is Saturday, February 17 at noon (12 p.m. PST).
- ALL of the auditions will be screened starting at that time, so no late submissions will be accepted.
Callbacks will be held via Zoom on Sunday, February 21.