Fortepianist Daniel Adam Maltz workshop
Due to a death in the family, Daniel needs to be with his family at this time. He is hoping to reschedule this event when his calendar allows.
Time and Location
Guided session offering pianists the opportunity to play on a Classical-era fortepiano. Discussion will focus on the differences between fortepianos and modern pianos, including the implications on modern performance.
Fortepianist Daniel Adam Maltz is based in Vienna and studied Historical Performance at the Royal Academy of Music in London and at Vienna’s University for Music and Performing Arts. He performs on historic Viennese fortepianos, utilizing the vast range of tones, colors, and techniques familiar to Classical era composers.
Short educational videos about the Fortepiano
- What is a Fortepiano?
- Fortepiano Sound vs. Modern Piano
- (20-minutes) Evolution of the Viennese Fortepiano
- Historical Tuning: Rediscover the Classical Sound World
- Slur Markings: Understanding Mozart’s intent
- Beethoven’s Pedal Markings: Why Do We Ignore Them?
- Fortepiano Knee Levers (Pedals): Effects Lost on Modern Pianos
- Octave Glissando: Was it as Difficult for Beethoven?