June 23-27, 2019
A week-long chamber music workshop for string players of middle-school to college age, featuring extensive daily coaching and performing opportunities designed to:
- Improve your instrumental playing ability
- Improve your performing ability
- Improve your musicianship
- Develop ensemble skills
- Develop rehearsal skills
- Develop leadership skills
- Have fun with other musicians while learning great repertoire!!
Chamber music represents the pinnacle ensemble experience for musicians where instrumental playing skills, musicianship, leadership and collaborative skills are developed to the highest level in small ensembles in which every player has the opportunity to shine in both soloistic and supporting musical roles while performing the greatest literature written for our instruments. Students will receive daily coaching from expert faculty in a small group learning environment as well as in larger ensembles: In addition to their small chamber groups, all string players will perform in a non-conducted large string ensemble and pianists will perform in piano duos and quartets. Each day includes multiple rehearsal and coaching sessions and culminates with an afternoon performance class wherein each group has the opportunity to perform material mastered, that day. By the end of the week, students will have had multiple performance opportunities in preparation for the Final Concert for family and friends.
And for Pianists - Piano Camp
Study piano duets, chamber music for piano and other instruments, and solo pieces. Daily master-classes and lessons on both solo and ensemble music with WWU piano faculty, Dr. Judith Widrig.
Dates and Schedule
This year's Chamber Days are June 23-27. Please note new daily schedule and concert time. They are different from previous years.
End of Week Gala Concert for Family and Friends
Thursday, June 27 at 5:15 in the Western Washington University Concert Hall
- First Day Orientation Meeting: June 23, 12 p.m., PAC Room 16/Choir Room
- Sunday 12 p.m. through 5 p.m.
- Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. through 4 p.m.
- Includes multiple coaching sessions and an afternoon performance classes wherein each group will have the opportunity to perform material mastered, that day.
- Grant Donnellan (Prof. of Violin, WWU, Director, North Sound Youth Symphony)
- Laura Camacho (WWU Violin Faculty)
- Coral Marchant (Private Cello Instructor)
- Nick Strobel (Private Cello Instructor; Bellingham High School Orchestra Director)
- Judith Widrig (WWU Piano Faculty)
- Afternoon Masterclasses with WWU faculty and guest artists
Application and Registration
- $300 per participant.
- Limited scholarship assistance is available.
- Apply for Chamber Days
Music Camp 2-for-1 Bonus
- Students who enroll in Chamber Days and the Marrowstone Music Festival will receive a $200 scholarship towards their Marrowstone tuition
- see Marrowstone application and indicate that you are a Chamber Days participant)
- New students must audition for acceptance. Please submit a short audition video electronically via our application page.
- Audition requirements: a major and minor scale showing position work; an excerpt from solo repertoire of your choice.
- For more information or to request an audition, call or email Grant Donnellan at (360) 920-7820.
- Please apply by May 20
- Successful applicants will receive admission confirmation and payment/registration link