Covid-19 Information and Resources
The following page details COVID information and resources for the Department of Music. Those that are looking for WWU campus COVID information should visit Western's Coronavirus Information site.
In fall 2021, all students must be vaccinated to participate in face-to-face ensembles, applied lessons, MUS 469 Music Teaching Practicum, and MUS 334 Jazz Theory and Improvisation.
We appreciate your understanding that we did not come to this decision lightly. We are confident after consulting with the Health Center and COVID Support Team that these measures are in the best interest of all students and faculty. We are hopeful to be back together in the winter quarter and will make an announcement for winter later in the fall quarter.
Students with an approved waiver will have a serious and valid reason for not obtaining the vaccine. Please respect each other’s privacy and ensure that we are still a safe and caring environment. We will not tolerate the harassment of any student who has had to make this difficult decision.
Follow the steps below according to your current vaccination status or choice.
Music Vaccination Policy
Students with an approved vaccination waiver should submit the Music Vaccination Policy Accommodations form as soon as possible. Students are not required to disclose which exemption they received. We will be in touch after Labor Day regarding accommodation and degree requirement waivers. The ensemble requirements for music majors, scholarship recipients, and non-majors/minors in lessons are waived for fall 2021. Students must participate in lessons remotely. Accommodations for in-person lessons may be available on a case-by-case basis. Graduating music minors who were planning on enrolling in ensembles for electives will be assisted in finding a solution.
Students are responsible for submitting their proof of vaccination before ensemble auditions and/or the start of term. If you are not vaccinated, please start this process as soon as possible. To audition for ensembles and start classes, you must have received all doses and wait two weeks after the final dosage for full effectiveness. Please note, vaccinated students in applied lessons will be required to sign a waiver at your first lesson. This waiver will state that you understand the vaccination requirement and that you attest to meeting the requirement.
Applied lessons will be offered in a hybrid format. Vaccinated students will meet face-to-face with their applied instructor, and those with approved medical or religious waivers will meet remotely via zoom. We may provide accommodation for non-vaccinated students to meet in person on a case-by-case basis if the circumstance jeopardizes the essential qualities of the course for teaching and learning.
In addition to the safety guidelines outlined by the university, music students must continue to wear masks or bell covers while rehearsing in lessons and ensembles. The following information is subject to change.
- Brass and Winds: As of now, brass and wind players must wear bell covers and flat masks during face-to-face lessons and ensemble rehearsals. Students will be provided with a flat mask and bell cover for the quarter.
- Vocalists: Vocalists must wear masks during face-to-face lessons and ensemble rehearsals. Official singing maks may be provided.
- Percussion, Piano, Strings: Students in these areas must wear a mask in lessons and ensemble rehearsals.
According to the WWU COVID Recovery page physical distancing is no longer required on campus. Offices, departments, events, and the like are allowed to encourage distancing in their spaces, but there is no requirement for such.
While there is no official policy, we encourage music students to be mindful of our narrow hallways and dense groupings outside classrooms. Help us maintain face-to-face meetings by continuing to wash your hands and wear your mask!
Starting September 13, 2021, the Performing Arts Center (PAC) will be open from 7:00 am - 11:00 pm. Door monitors are not required at this time. Hours and requirements are subject to change.
Practice rooms are available on LL1 and LL2 for all WWU students. Priority is given to music majors, minors, and those enrolled in music classes on weekdays between 8:00 am- 5:00 pm.
- Brass, Strings, Wind, Voice: Regular practice rooms are first-come, first-serve, reservations are no longer needed.
- Percussion: Percussion rooms are first come first serve until practice room sign-ups at the first masterclass
- Piano: Piano practice times are scheduled based on seniority/degree program, more details will be sent to students enrolled in piano lessons from the piano area.
Classroom and performance spaces in the music department are open for rehearsals and practice. To use a space, students and faculty must either request access through the Event Management System (EMS) or write in their reservation on the current reservation schedule/"room card" outside each classroom.
- Room Cards: Each week, the PAC Manager's office will post a reservation schedule, often referred to as a "room card," that will show the reservations in each space from Monday-Sunday. Room cards will be posted outside each room by noon each Monday.
- When to make a request online: Regular or quarterly rehearsals should be requested through EMS. Ideally, requests should be submitted at least one week in advance as the approval process is manual. Please note, requests are not automatically approved, and confirmations and denials will be sent via email from Fred Ramage. Requests submitted after Friday at 4:00 pm may not be approved in time to make it onto the room card.
- When to write in your reservation: If a student or faculty member is looking for a space during the week after Monday at noon, they should write in their reservation on the room card and not submit it through EMS. See the attachment for an example. *Important:* please remember to leave 10 minutes between your rehearsal time and any class as there must be a transition period between courses. If you can fit it, please include the students using the room for contact tracing.
Click here to see an example of a room card with an added reservation.
Click here to download the Event Management System Instructions for music students.
Keys are no longer required to access regular practice rooms. Keys for piano practice and percussion practice rooms are still required. A new key checkout process will be posted and announced to students before the start of the academic year.
The process for checking out lockers is new! The department will provide locks, and personal locks are no longer allowed.
Students interested in checking out a locker should fill out the Music Locker Check-Out Form and review the policies and procedures. The music office will review requests and email the locker assignment with the combination to the student's WWU email. The music office will need a minimum of three full business days to respond to requests.
If you currently do not own your instrument, we offer low-cost instrumental rentals through our instrumental library. For more information regarding instrumental rentals, please email the instrumental library (Instrument.Library@wwu.edu). The instrument library is not regularly active during summer intersession and may not respond until closer to the start of the fall term. We cannot guarantee instrument rentals for ensemble auditions.
At this time, there are no capacity or performance restrictions. Audience members will need to wear a mask. This information is subject to change. Please review the WWU COVID Recovery page for more details.
We will move ahead with scheduling fall recitals during the first week of the academic year. Reserved recital dates, policies, and procedures will be posted on the Music Advising and Resouces Canvas page and emailed to studios.