Students of any major are eligible for music scholarships through the completion of an entrance audition during primary audition dates. Please visit our auditions page for more information.
Students who receive a music scholarship must participate and register for a major ensemble, as well as register for private instruction according to the requirements of their area of study. Scholarships are generally awarded for one academic year, but four-year scholarships are occasionally awarded in some performing areas. Scholarships are also awarded for participation in certain select ensembles, such as the Scholarship String Quartet, Western Voices, Western Brass, and the Western Wind Quintet.
- demonstrated skill-level in an applied audition on an instrument or voice
- academic achievement and professionalism
- departmental needs
- total number of applicants on instrument, in area, or in department
- financial need
- award availability
Students will be notified by email after the completion of their entrance audition. Depending on the amount of auditions, some areas will not award scholarships until all primary audition dates have finished.
Returning students will be notified through their official western email after finals week spring quarter.
Please contact Lee Anne Frahn with any questions regarding this process.
The Western Washington University Department is proud to support its students thanks to the generous donations of the following scholarship funds:
- William D. Cole Scholarship
- Arthur C. Hicks Piano Scholarship
- Ford Hill Piano Scholarship
- Albert C. Shaw Music Education Scholarship
- Virginia Hunter Voice Scholarship
- L. Mildred Hurd Memorial Scholarship
- Rhoda Carrick Keagle Music Scholarship
- Music Merit Department Scholarship
- Ada and Don Walter Endowment Fund
- Dorothy Kirk Westman Scholarship in Music
- Dee Bergholz Music Scholarship
- Dr. Willard A. and Anne W. Brown Music Endowment
- Frances Jean Miller Endowment
- Woodwind Endowment
- Wilhite Family Music Scholarship
- Brass Performance Scholarship Endowment
- Gregory Cox Music Scholarship
- Gene Zoro Clarinet Scholarship Endowment
- Peter A. Botting Scholarship
- William Sanford Piano Scholarship
- String Scholarship
- Christopher Bianco Music Scholarship
- Music Department Scholarship
- Murray Music Scholarship
- Terry Clark Music Scholarship