Middle Schools - Friday, March 10, 2017
High Schools - Saturday, March 11, 2017
Performing Arts Center, Western Washington University
About the Festival
Western Washington University Department of Music and The American String Teachers Association Washington State Chapter (W-ASTA) proudly offer a unique opportunity to have all aspects of your orchestra Program assessed by outstanding adjudicators, with an emphasis on providing a high quality educational experience through expert comments and clinics for every ensemble.
Attending a state-level festival gives orchestra members an opportunity to listen to outstanding symphonic and string ensembles from throughout the region, including a performance from the Western Symphony Orchestra, under the baton of recently appointed Director of Orchestral Studies, Ryan Dudenbostel.
The State High School Orchestra Festival is open to W-ASTA and non-W-ASTA directors, as well as “non-school” ensembles such as youth symphonies and ensembles from private studios. Orchestras outside Washington State are also welcome.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Division for Small Ensembles – Trios, Quartets, Quintets, Octets
- Division for Chamber Orchestras
- Two Divisions for Large Ensembles: String Orchestra & Full Orchestra
- Plus an Eclectic Strings Division– fiddle, pit orchestra, folk, jazz, rock - any and all non-classical styles
- Two tracks – Competitive or Non-competitive
- High School Festival only: Categories within Competitive Divisions for Large (>1200) or Small (<1200) schools and Freshman-only Ensembles
- Open to W-ASTA and non-W-ASTA directors, as well as “non-public school” ensembles such as youth symphonies and ensembles from private studios
- Open to both Washington and non-Washington Schools
- All Divisions will receive assessments from two outstanding adjudicators as well as with an onstage clinic
- All entries — Competitive or Non-Competitive — will receive a Trophy designated with a Gold, Silver or Bronze Award based on their performance
- Division I - String Orchestra Division: String orchestras with personnel greater than sixteen
- Division II - Full Orchestra Division: Ensembles greater than sixteen that perform literature with winds/percussion
- Division III - Chamber Orchestra Division: Conducted or non-conducted: Nine to twenty-two string players (HS); Eight to twenty-two string players (MS); Multiple players per part
- Division IV - Eclectic Ensembles Division: Defined as any ensemble not performing classical music. Improvisation is encouraged!
- Division V - Chamber Ensembles Division: Three to nine players, including piano and winds. Chamber Music literature – one player per part; Schools must register in at least one other Division (I-IV) in addition to Division V
Each Division will have both Competitive and Non-Competitive tracks with the prerequisite of three entries, minimum, to constitute a Competitive Division. Private/select organizations (e.g. youth symphonies and select ensembles from multiple schools) are encouraged to participate, but may only enter the Non-Competitive track.
High School Festival only: Each Competitive Division will have both Large School (>1200) and Small School (<1200) Classes, with separate rankings for each Class; Freshman-only Ensembles will also receive separate rankings within all except the Chamber Ensembles Division.
All entries — Competitive or Non-Competitive — will receive a Trophy designated with a Gold, Silver or Bronze Award based on their performance.
Friday, March 10 Social Event
W-ASTA/WWU State Orchestra Festival Friday Night Social: 7:30–9:00 March 10, Performing Arts Center Concert Hall. Open to all participants – Middle and High School. Cost: $5 per student. Past events have featured performance by the renowned Pearl Django Gypsy Jazz Ensemble and the Seattle Rock Orchestra, followed by an ice cream feed with a toppings bar and punch. This is a great way to meet participants from other schools, hear great music and celebrate multiple styles of string playing. We hope you will join us!
Registration will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Payment can be made by credit card or Purchase Order. If paying by Purchase Order, payments must be received by January 6, 2017 to confirm and secure your registration. After January 6th, unpaid time slots may be made available to the next-in-line registrant. Last day to withdraw without penalty: January 6, 2017, minus $25 administrative fee. After this date, withdrawals will receive a partial refund. If you have questions, please email us at email@example.com.W-ASTA/WWU State Orchestra Festival Friday Night Social: 7:30–9:00 March 10
- Middle School Festival Registration - March 10, 2017
- High School Festival Registration - March 11, 2017
Participating groups must submit their program selections by February 24, 2017. Information received after that date may not appear in the Festival programs.
Visiting information (directions, parking, on-campus dining and campus map)