Orchestra Festival dates and location
- Middle Schools - Friday, March 13, 2020
- High Schools - Saturday, March 14, 2020
- Performing Arts Center, Western Washington University
About the Festival
Western Washington University Department of Music and The American String Teachers Association Washington State Chapter (W-ASTA) proudly offer a unique opportunity to have all aspects of your orchestra Program assessed by outstanding adjudicators, with an emphasis on providing a high quality educational experience through expert comments and clinics for every ensemble.
Attending a state-level festival gives orchestra members an opportunity to listen to outstanding symphonic and string ensembles from throughout the region, including a performance by the Western Symphony Orchestra, under the baton of Director of Orchestral Studies, Ryan Dudenbostel.
The W-ASTA/WWU State Orchestra Festival is open to W-ASTA and non-W-ASTA directors, as well as “non-school” ensembles such as youth symphonies and ensembles from private studios. Orchestras outside Washington State are also welcome.
Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Division for Small Ensembles – Trios, Quartets, Quintets, Octets
- Division for Chamber Orchestras
- Two Divisions for Large Ensembles: String Orchestra & Full Orchestra
- Plus an Eclectic Strings Division– fiddle, pit orchestra, folk, jazz, rock - any and all non-classical styles
- Two tracks – Competitive or Non-competitive
- High School Festival only: Separate classes within Competitive Divisions for Large (>1200) or Small (<1200) schools and Freshman-only Ensembles
- Open to W-ASTA and non-W-ASTA directors, as well as “non-public school” ensembles such as youth symphonies and ensembles from private studios
- Open to both Washington and non-Washington Schools
- All Divisions will receive assessments from two outstanding adjudicators as well as an onstage clinic
- All entries — Competitive or Non-Competitive — will receive a Trophy designated with a Gold, Silver or Bronze Award based on their performance
- Division I - String Orchestra Division: String orchestras with personnel greater than sixteen
- Division II - Full Orchestra Division: Ensembles greater than sixteen that perform literature with winds/percussion
- Division III - Chamber Orchestra Division: Conducted or non-conducted: Nine to twenty-two string players (HS); Eight to twenty-two string players (MS); Multiple players per part
- Division IV - Eclectic Ensembles Division: Defined as any ensemble not performing classical music. Improvisation is encouraged!
- Division V - Chamber Ensembles Division: Three to nine players (may include piano and winds) performing chamber Music literature – one player per part. Schools must register in at least one other Division (I-IV) in addition to Division V
Each Division will have both Competitive and Non-Competitive tracks with the prerequisite of three entries, minimum, to constitute a Competitive Division. Private/select organizations (e.g. youth symphonies and select ensembles from multiple schools) are encouraged to participate, but may only enter the Non-Competitive track.
High School Festival only
Each Competitive Division will have both Large School (>1200) and Small School (<1200) Classes, with separate rankings for each Class; Freshman-only Ensembles will also receive separate rankings within all except the Chamber Ensembles Division.
All entries — Competitive or Non-Competitive — will receive a Trophy designated with a Gold, Silver or Bronze Award based on their performance.
Friday Evening Social Event
W-ASTA/WWU State Orchestra Festival Friday Night Social: 7:30–9:00 March 13, Performing Arts Center Concert Hall. Open to all participants – Middle and High School. Cost: $5 per student. An all-ages event with a concert featuring a professional string ensemble and refreshments. Past events have featured performances by the renowned Pearl Django Jazz Ensemble, Seattle Rock Orchestra, Roma violinist Lache Cercel, and the Gothard Sisters, followed by an ice cream feed with a toppings bar and punch. This is a great way to meet participants from other schools, hear great music, and celebrate multiple styles of string playing. We hope you will join us!
2019 Festival Winners
Middle Schools - Friday, March 15, 2019
Division I: String Orchestras
- 1st Place: Tyee Middle School Advanced Orchestra
- 2nd Place: Odle Middle School Philharmonia
- 3rd Place: Explorer Middle School Orchestra
Division III: Chamber Orchestras
- 1st Place: Jane Addams Middle School Chamber Orchestra
- 2nd Place: Tyee Middle School Chamber Orchestra
- 3rd Place: Hamilton International Middle School Chamber Orchestra 1
High Schools - Saturday, March 16, 2019
Division I: Large School String Orchestras
- 1st Place: Hanford High School Chamber Orchestra
- 2nd Place: Olympia High School Symphonic Strings
- 3rd Place: Mountain View High School Chamber Orchestra
Division I: Small School String Orchestras
- 1st Place: Port Angeles High School Symphonic Orchestra
- 2nd Place: Port Angeles High School Concert Orchestra
- 3rd Place: Port Townsend High School Orchestra
Division II: Large School Full Orchestras
- 1st Place: Port Olympia High School Grand Symphony
- 2nd Place: Curtis High School Symphony Orchestra
- 3rd Place: Garfield High School Concert Orchestra
Division III: Large School Chamber Orchestras
- 1st Place: Olympia High School Chamber Orchestra
- 2nd Place: Bellevue High School Chamber Orchestra
- 3rd Place: Meadowdale High School Chamber Orchestra
Division III: Small School Chamber Orchestras
- 1st Place: Port Angeles High School Chamber Orchestra
- 2nd Place: Annie Wright Upper School Chamber Orchestra
- 3rd Place: Orcas Island High School Strings
Division V: Chamber Ensembles
- 1st Place: Kamiak High School Chamber Ensemble Purple
- 2nd Place: Kamiak High School Chamber Ensemble Silver
- 3rd Place: Olympia High School White Quartet
Registration for the 2020 W-ASTA/WWU State Orchestra Festival is now available! If your division is full, please be sure to register for the waitlist; we will try to accommodate as many wait-listed groups as possible in order of registration.