Design BFA pre-major/Design minor Application
The 2024 Design Pre-BFA major/Design minor application is open.
Thank you for your interest in the Department of Design. The annual admission process for the Design BFA Pre-Major/Design Minor is highly competitive and takes place every winter quarter for the following fall quarter start. All application materials must be submitted online. Applications sent by mail, email, or submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Design BFA Pre-Major/Design Minor applications are carefully reviewed by the Design faculty. Each application is evaluated based on a demonstrated understanding of visual communication, technical proficiency, creativity, and problem-solving skills. Please note that all applications are reviewed at the same time, regardless of when they are submitted. Whether you submit your application early or closer to the deadline, rest assured that each submission will receive equal consideration.
The pre-major courses follow a sequential structure, commencing in fall quarter. It is important for applicants to be aware that most of these courses are offered only once a year and serve as prerequisites for winter quarter courses. For transfer students, we highly recommend planning to begin their Western admission for fall quarter.
Thank you again for considering WWU's Department of Design for your academic journey. We look forward to receiving your application and wish you the very best throughout the admission process.
Design BFA pre-major/Design minor important application dates:
- Admission application opens - January 10, 2024 12pm noon
- Admission application deadline - March 27, 2024 12 pm noon
- Notification of admission - applicants will be notified of admission decisions on April 17, 2024
The portfolio should consist of seven specific assignments – see link below – plus three projects of your choice. These additional three projects can be of any media such as drawings, paintings, photography, graphics, printmaking, etc. They can also consist of documentation of your design process for any of the seven assignments (sketches, thumbnails, iterations, etc.), demonstrating your conceptual and visual potential in the design field.
A short, typed statement (150 words, maximum) detailing your interest in the program as well as your long-term goals within the design field.
- A PDF, 8.5 x 11 inches, portrait orientation.
- The first page should be your name and the Candidate Statement described above.
- Use the defined number of pages for each assignment and one page for each personal project. Titles or captions are optional.
- Make sure photos and scans of any work are good quality; images should be a minimum of 1080 px (width or height) and 150 px/inch resolution.
File size and format
The format for all attached files must be .pdf and not exceed a combined total of 16 MB. Check for proper functioning of files and links, and proofread for spelling/grammatical errors.