Intent and Purpose
Sculpture Woods is available to students, faculty, and visiting artists who seek a quiet and private environment in which to do their work. It offers a unique sense of isolation allowing visitors unparalleled immersion into a natural environment that inspires creativity, focus, and concentration. Visitors who allow this quiet and reflective environment to guide them will benefit the most from it.
Performers from Susan Haines' dance video "the three graces" perform among Ann Morris' sculptures on Lummi Island.
The grounds are open for day use to small groups of students and faculty and can be reserved for special events. There are several large grassy areas for gatherings that are very private and have beautiful views.
There are no outside seating areas, but portable lawn chairs may be brought in.
Food and beverages may be brought to the grounds but the event leader must be prepared to remove all trash. (The general public is not allowed to bring food and beverage on public opening day, this is only allowed for WWU faculty and staff)
There is no camping and no open fires allowed on the grounds. There is a public restroom next to the gallery that is always open.
The “Yoga House”
The Yoga House is located to the west of the Studio & Gallery and at this time, is the preferred location for usage by students and faculty. It is best used for meetings, brainstorming, workshops, writing, music, classes etc. but it may not be used at this time for any visual artist that needs to work with materials of any kind such as paint, clay, equipment, etc. For projects requiring a multiple day stay, the Yoga House is available to students or faculty for overnight guests. Please note the Yoga House is only available for academic endeavors and not intended to be used solely for vacation and leisure stays. Overnight guests should bring their own linens and/or sleeping bags.
Yoga House Amenities
- Approximately 500 square feet of open usable space
- Fully carpeted so strict “no shoes” rule
- Kitchenette with stove & refrigerator
- Wood burning fireplace
- Dining table seats 12 when expanded
- 1 queen bed
- 2 twin beds
- *There are 6 folding 6’ tables and 40 folding chairs in the Yoga House storage shed that can be used anywhere on the grounds or in the studio, breezeway, or gallery
Currently, Ann occupies her studio 7 days a week during the working hours of 8-5. However, she would be open to students and faculty requesting use of her studio for special events that she agrees to. The Studio is best suited for: lectures or classes with special guests such as visiting artists, recitals, or performances but it may not be used at this time for any visual artist that needs to work with materials of any kind such as paint, clay, equipment, etc.
- Approximately 600 square feet of open usable space
- 1 existing table seats 12
- High ceilings with excellent acoustics
- Wood burning fireplace
- Living room seating
Students from Kamarie Chapman's playwrighting workshop read plays for an attentive audience at Sculpture Woods.
Lummi Island Amenities
- Public beach access “Church Beach” is a short walk from Sculpture Woods
- Islander Store for general supplies and food/beverage
- Beach Store Café for casual dining (beachstorecafe.com)
- Willows Inn for luxury dining and hotel (willowsinn.com)
- During peak season, there are a few roadside food & flower stands and a Saturday Artisans Market near the store
- 3 Heritage Trust pubic hiking trails