Music Lockers and Instrument Rentals
Lockers are available on a first-come, first-served basis starting in September each year. Students can inquire about locker availability during winter and spring quarters by visiting the Music Office.
Instrumental rentals are only available to students enrolled in private WWU lessons, ensembles, or Music Education concentration pedagogy labs.
Read the full policies and procedures below for more information!
On this page
Jump to your desired section.
Music Department locks are provided and are currently on all lockers. Personal locks are no longer allowed, and locks no longer need to be purchased.
Locker assignments and combinations will be sent via email only. Locker combinations should not be shared with any other students or faculty members. If a locker combination is shared, the assigned student will be billed with the cost of replacing the lock and may be required to clean out their locker.
Students will be assigned a locker based on the size of the instrument and other needs. Locker assignments and combinations will be sent via email only.
How to request
Music locker requests open on September 5 each academic year. New and returning students who did not renew a locker the previous year must submit a request form. If you renewed your locker, you do not need to submit a new form.
Lockers are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, but we may assign them based on department needs. If lockers are full or unavailable, you'll be placed on a waitlist for the academic year. Students can inquire about locker availability during winter and spring quarters by visiting the Music Office or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instrument and Locker Size
- Small Lockers: Flute, clarinet, soprano saxophone, oboe, trumpet, violin, viola, voice, piano.
- Medium lockers: Cello, trombone, French horn, tenor & baritone saxophone, bass clarinet.
- Large lockers: Bass, euphonium, and tuba only
- Percussionists: Lockers are reserved for percussionists. Please request a locker through the percussion student manager.
Students can renew their locker each year starting May 1 through the Music Locker Renewal Form, the form for spring 2023 closes at 11:59 pm on May 21.
Renewals are available to students who currently have an assigned music department locker and would like to have a locker for either the summer quarter or next year.
- Lockers that are not renewed must be cleaned out by 12:00 pm on the Friday of finals week, return locks and/or keys to the music office once it is vacated.
- Missed the cleanout deadline? Any remaining belongings will be stored in the Music Office until June 30. After this date, items will be turned into the Viking Union Lost and Found.
Questions? Email Rax Organa, Music Office Coordinator
Students must read the full policies and procedures above.
- New locker requests open on September 5th each year.
- Renewal requests open on May 1, and the deadline for 22-23 AY renewals is May 21, 2023, at 11:59 pm.
- Lockers must be emptied by noon on the Friday of finals week (June 9) if not renewed. Remaining items will be held in the Music Office until June 30, then sent to the Viking Union Lost and Found.
- Personal locks are prohibited, and a key or combination will be provided.
Rentals are restricted to students in enrolled in WWU private "applied" lessons, ensembles, or Music Education pedagogy labs. Proof of enrollment may be requested. Please note that submitting a request form does not guarantee a rental for applied lessons and ensembles.
- Applied lesson and ensemble students must speak to their instructor or conductor first. Music Education students in pedagogy labs must enroll in the course first.
- Submit the Instrument and Equipment Request Form. Give a minimum of five full business days for a response.
- Watch your email for a response from the Instrument Library and complete action items as necessary.
Students will be prompted to pay a fee after the instrument library verifies availability. Do not pay a fee until prompted, we cannot guarantee a refund from WWU if an instrument is unavailable. All wind and string pedagogy classes will require an instrument rental fee ($40-60). Primary and secondary instrument rental fees have been suspended for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Other Rental Options
We encourage students who are not eligible or unable to rent an instrument from us, to look into rentals in the Bellingham area. Past students have had success renting from Bellingham Wind Works, Bellingham Music, Quist Violins, and many others.