Music Faculty Resources

Guest Artists/Presenters

Honorariums are paid to pre-approved guests (non-employees only) when these conditions apply:

  • Maximum of one masterclass or workshop or class presentation and/or one performance/recital
  • AND the honorarium payment is $1,000 or less
  • AND the department is not paying any travel costs

Honoraria Pre-Approval form - Route the form to Anne Melo at least two weeks prior to the event.

If the conditions for Honorarium do not apply, a contract must be created. If questions, contact Anne Melo.

A contract is necessary for non-employee guests when ANY of the following conditions apply:

  • Fee of more than $1,000
  • Department is paying for any travel costs
  • More than one masterclass or workshop or class presentation and/or one performance/recital

Complete the Honoraria Pre-Approval form and route it to Anne Melo at least 6 weeks in advance.  If a contract is needed, Anne will contact you and/or the guest to request the additional information needed for requesting a contract. *Coming soon is a Contract Request Form

If questions, contact Anne Melo.

Email Anne Melo at least two weeks prior to the event and include the following information:

  • Name of employee
  • Date(s) of event(s)
  • Amount of payment for the services
  • If applicable, course number the guest will be presenting for
  • Brief description of presentation/service

Email the following information to Rax Organa to secure a parking permit for your guest:

  • Name of guest
  • Email for guest
  • Date(s) & time(s) permit is needed
  • Rental car or personal vehicle? (Guests driving rental cars up from SeaTac may not have their vehicle until the day of their first event.  Have them provide their vehicle information as soon as they can.)
  • License plate number
  • State vehicle is licensed in
  • Make & Model of vehicle

Please notify Rax Organa with as much advance notice as possible, preferably two weeks in advance for guests driving personal vehicles.

Rax will communicate parking instructions directly to the guests.

Request for Use of Professional Development Funds

The CFPA Faculty Professional Development Support Request form is required for use of professional development funds. Complete the form and submit it to Anne Melo.

Are you hosting an event?

Please talk with Anne Melo first, before submitting any forms.

General Information

Hours of Operation

Building Hours

Please see the University Police Website for the PAC hours.

Music Office Hours

The Music Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm when classes are in session.

Hours during the intersessions may vary and will be stated on a sign posted on the door.

Accessing PAC Spaces

Check out keys in the Music office. 

Faculty/staff are given keys to all the rooms/areas they need regular access to.  Keys can be checked out on a short-term or long-term basis to faculty/staff. 

Students can be given keys to a faculty member’s office with the written permission of the faculty member on a short-term basis (the office holds their ID card until the key is returned).  

Classroom Assignments

Classrooms are assigned by the Department Chair and/or scheduling committee based on several factors including class size, space needs, available materials and technology, student schedules, and equity.  

Additional Reservations

To reserve classroom space for "arranged" rehearsals and studio class, sectionals, or make-up lessons outside of your faculty office, please follow the guidelines below.

  • Overview: Reservations are made either via Mazevo or as write-in reservations on “room cards.”
  • Posted Schedules: “Room cards” are printed out schedules posted outside each room by 12:00 PM each Monday. The room cards show the room schedule Monday-Sunday.
  • Recurring or One Week in Advance: Request in Mazevo. Requests made less than 7 days in advance will not appear on the room card for the following week and may require the faculty member to write-in their reservation on the appropriate room card.
  • Write-In Reservations: Faculty should write their reservations on the room card when the request is made within the same week.

Teaching studios are arranged each academic year and may change quarterly for some NTT faculty. Please refer questions to the Department Chair, Tim Fitzpatrick.

New Faculty Information


Western ID numbers are created for new faculty by Human Resources after hiring forms have been completed and processed. Email addresses are created by ATUS once HR has completed the hire process and the new employee has claimed their WWU Account. ATUS will notify the new employee and Anne Melo, Department Manager, once the WWU Account is created and ready to be "claimed".

Keys are checked out to new faculty as part of Anne's onboarding process. 

Copy codes and Teams phone numbers are provided to new faculty as part of Anne's onboarding process. 

Contact Anne Melo if you have questions.

Faculty Hiring and Contracts

Questions about contract details and teaching loads should be directed to the Music Department Chair, Tim Fitzpatrick.

Faculty Website Profile

Faculty can update their own profile in the Department of Music Directory on the website! Log in via the link in the footer of the website to edit. Logging in takes you directly to your profile page. From there, go to the Edit tab to make changes. Contact Justene Merriman for assistance.

A faculty profile on the music website will be created by the CFPA when requested by the department. New faculty profiles require a WWU email address.

New Faculty - Technology Set Up

Get connected to WWU technology via the New to Western? ATUS page.

Faculty Assistance

Student Employee Assistance

Immediate Assistance

Contact Rax Organa, Music Office Coordinator, for assistance from student office employees.

Project or Event Requiring Student Employee Assistance

Contact Rax Organa, Music Office Coordinator, for assistance from student office employees.

Long-term Help or TA

Contact Music Department Chair, Tim Fitzpatrick, or Anne Melo, Department Manager.

Maintaining the PAC

Contact Rax Organa regarding equipment and furnishings that are no longer needed and need to be removed. (Department's Asset Control Custodian is Anne Melo)

Music Department spaces: Email Rax Organa, Music Office Coordinator with a description of the problem and the room number or location information. This includes anything to do with the physical structure of the building such as burned-out light bulbs, leaks, broken locks, clogged drains, entry & exit locks, new keys, need for additional cleaning, attention to space, & anything related. 

Performance spaces: Contact Fred Ramage.


If you need assistance with an urgent building matter, please call Facilities Work Control at 360-650-3420 before 4:00 PM weekdays. This includes, but is not limited to hazardous materials, overflowing toilet/sink, broken glass, and body fluids.

After hours and weekends, call University Police Dispatch at 360-650-3555.


Student Announcements

Faculty can make announcements to their students via Canvas or through emailing their class list. Class lists can be located on Web4U.

Faculty can request an announcement by emailing Lee Anne Frahn, Undergraduate Student Advisor, and Tim Fitzpatrick, Department Chair, who will determine if a department announcement is possible. If not, we will recommend other actions to send information including social media announcements, a post in Music Matters!, or others. Our goal is to limit the number of emails sent to students. 

The Department of Music can send emails to a wide range of students, but we are not allowed to send campus-wide emails to recruit for classes or for events. The university has a strict policy regarding contacting students.

News can also be submitted to Western Today through 

Faculty can request an announcement by emailing Lee Anne Frahn, Undergraduate Student Advisor, and Tim Fitzpatrick, Department Chair, who will determine if a department announcement is possible. If not, we will recommend other actions to send information including social media announcements, a post in Music Matters!, or others.


Assistance to Help and Refer Students

Office of Student Life (360) 650-3706,
The Office of Student Life is a good first contact for faculty concerned about a student. Staff will work with the faculty to identify appropriate next steps, and can involve other campus support services including those listed below. An online report is available as well.

Concerning behavior includes: uncharacteristic procrastination and poorly prepared work, changes in attendance, frequently falling asleep in class, change in personal hygiene, lack of connection to others in class, displays of extreme emotion, or complaints from other students about inappropriate behavior. Faculty are encouraged to speak with students, refer them to an appropriate resource(s), and inform the Office of Student Life if the concern continues.

How to refer:

  1. Contact a resource below for assistance; and/or
  2. Speak to the student in private and express your concern for them directly.
  3. Respect and acknowledge the difficulties the student is experiencing.
  4. Suggest the student seek out assistance. Your knowledge about appropriate resources can help inform their next steps.

Potentially harmful behavior includes: threats to harm others, suicidal thoughts, hallucinations, high levels of irritability, impaired speech or disjointed thoughts, disruptive classroom behavior, and behavior that reflects increased hopelessness. Faculty are encouraged to contact the Office of Student Life and/or University Police depending on the severity of this behavior.

Counseling Center (360) 650-3164

Counselors can consult with faculty and strategize how to help a student. Keep in mind that counselors can receive information about a student but cannot share information about individual students (including whether or not the student is receiving service from them) without a student’s written permission.

Student Health Center (360) 650-3400

Medical staff can consult with faculty and strategize how to help a student, particularly for students who have mentioned previously seeking health services or having a medical condition that is affecting them. Health Center staff can receive information but also cannot share information about an individual student without that student’s signed permission.

Deidre Evans (360) 650-7982

Deidre Evans, the WWU Survivor Advocate, can consult with faculty and strategize how to communicate with and help a student.

University Police (360) 650-3911 or 911 for emergencies; (360) 650- 3555 for non-emergencies

Police should be informed of any concerning behavior that might result in harm to any member of the Western or Bellingham community. Police can also be a resource for students who are worried about potential harm from another student.

Under POL-U1600.04, Western employees must promptly report known or suspected sexual harassment, sexual violence, or other discrimination based on sex to the Title IX Coordinator, even if the misconduct occurred off-campus. 

Suggestions for Response

If an individual shares information about sex/gender discrimination, harassment, sexual assault or violence, the reporting party should:

  • Respond with care and concern. Thank the individual for trusting you with this information.

  • Disclose your obligation to report the information to the Title IX Coordinator.

  • Offer information about the confidential resources that are available, including counseling and other support services.

  • Assess the safety of the individual. Understand that the safety of the affected individual is essential in providing a supportive response.

  • Inform the affected individual of their right to file a Title IX-based complaint.

  • Inform the affected individual of their right to report a possible criminal act to school/campus or local law enforcement.

  • Do not investigate or make judgments. Avoid victim blaming.

How do I make a report?

Reports can be directed to the Title IX Coordinator, either by phone or by email. Individuals can also report by using the online reporting form. Third party reporters are strongly encouraged to leave contact information. Anonymous submissions may limit Western's ability to provide assistance and/or investigate the incident.

Visit the Reporting Guidelines page for more information.

Curriculum and Course Details

Independent Study

Undergraduate Independent Study Form

Graduate Independent Study Form

Form NTT faculty must get pre-approval from Department Chair before offering an Independent Study to a student. 

Faculty Overrides

Faculty can enter overrides for their courses. 

Input Instructions via Web4U
  1. Request Student Western ID/ W#  

  1. Log into Web4U 

  1. Faculty Services 

  1. Registration Overrides 

  1. Select Term  

  1. Enter W# with W (W01234567) 

  1. Submit once verifying student name 

  1. Select Type or “Reason for Override” (see below for details) 

  1. Select your course and submit 

  1. Submit Changes 

Types of Overrides 
  • I: General Instructor Override to get into class 

  • C: Capacity Override to enroll when the class is full 

  • T: Time Conflict Override to enroll when the class has a time conflict 

  • R: Repeat Override to enroll when they have passed the class. Notify the Program Coordinator when this is needed.  

Submitting Grades - Web4U

  1. Log onto Web4U.
    Note: you may only input grades if you are the primary instructor assigned to the course.
  2. Select Faculty Services. Select Final Grades.
  3. Select Term.
  4. Select the course you wish to grade and click Submit.
  5. Select grade by clicking on the pull-down menu in the grade field and selecting the appropriate grade or simply place the cursor in the grade field and type in the grade. Use your down arrow once you have typed in a grade to add +/-. Tab three times to the next student grade field and continue typing in grades. Verify a grade has been entered for each student.
    Please note: a system feature will list only the appropriate grades in the pull-down menu, as determined by grade mode the student has registered for.
    Example: only grades of P, NP, or K may be entered if a student has chosen a Pass/No Pass grade mode.
  6. Large courses are broken down into groups of 25 students. After submitting the first group of grades, you must click on the link for the next group of 25, and so on.
  7. Inactivity of 30 minutes on Web4U will result in your session being terminated. If you have not submitted grades prior to this point all grades keyed will be lost. We strongly suggest submitting grades often while inputting grades for large courses.
  8. When all grades are entered for the CRN click Submit. It is not necessary to turn in a printed grade roster if grades were entered via Web4U.
  9. Click on CRN Selection at the bottom of page to enter new CRN. The term will remain the same throughout the grading process unless changed. Select Final Grades and repeat steps 5 through 7.

The deadline for inputting grades is noon, Tuesday of grade week. Access to input final grades will be removed from Web4U at this time.

Music Equivalency Assessments

Music Theory and Keyboarding Coordinators only

Music Equivalency Assessments Results Form

Room and Class Scheduling

Mazevo is used for single or repeating room reservation requests outside of rooms scheduled for classes. Banner is the parent system that houses all WWU course data, including class locations. Banner then populates the information you see in Classfinder and Mazevo. Course detail changes such as meeting time and meeting room must be made in Banner. 

Regularly scheduled studio and masterclasses are loaded into Banner/Classfinder. This guarantees that information for these courses is available to students in Web4U.  

Faculty who schedule their studio or masterclasses based on student availability should not schedule through Banner/Classfinder. These faculty are responsible for requesting their teaching rooms through Mazevo at the beginning of the academic year or quarter.  

Curriculum and Course Details

All course details changes must be made through the Program Coordinator or by a CFPA administrator to ensure student and room schedules are up to date. These changes include room assignments, meeting time, faculty name, seat limit/capacity. 

Any curriculum changes and new proposals should be submitted to the Music Department Curriculum Committee. Talk to the Curriculum Committee Chair for guidance. These changes include, but are not limited to course title, course description, credits, pre-requisites or co-requisites, modality change, or adding/removing class from a degree program. 

Keyboard Proficiency Exam

Keyboarding coordinator use ONLY

Keyboard Proficiency Exam Completion form

Student Recitals

Student Recital Request Form

Faculty must approve their student's recital via an e-sign form. E-sign forms must be routed to area coordinators before being sent to the Program Coordinator, Lee Anne Frahn.

Student Recital Resources

All student recital resources are located on the Current Music Student page.

Concert Programs

Programs for Performances (not recitals)

  • Must be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the performance date to
  • Must be submitted with all program information at the same time, including translations and program notes.
  • Please ensure piece/work names are properly formatted, and all composer information is included and spelled correctly.
  • Please ensure all accompanist, soloist, and ensemble member names are listed correctly at the time of submission.
  • Upcoming events can be included in programs either by including a list of upcoming events you would like listed or indicating you would like a general list of events. A general list will include the 4-6 Music Department events following your concert, regardless of performance area. If you want specific events listed, please provide that information.

Following Submission

  • A PDF proof of your program will be sent to you via email.
  • Please reply to this email with any changes you would like made.
  • Programmatic changes will only be accepted following the first proof.
  • Second and subsequent proofs will be for formatting and typographic changes only (typos, misalignments, improper formatting of names/titles, etc.).
  • If no changes are made to a proof, please reply to the email approving the program for printing.

Final drafts of programs must be sent to print 7 days prior to the performance date to guarantee Print and Copy Services can deliver them in time for the concert.

We are currently utilizing Microsoft Publisher to format and assemble programs. With this in mind, we ask that program information is submitted in a Microsoft Word Document without utilizing any tables for alignment.

Program design is somewhat flexible, and we will only include information you submit. If you have requests for specific formatting, please include this in your initial request so we can do our best to fulfill your needs efficiently.

All program information and change requests must be submit via email to Hard copy program information or changes will not be accepted.

Programs will not be sent to print without approval from all faculty included in the submission email. If approval is not received by 7 days prior to the concert, delivery of programs cannot be guaranteed by the Music Office or Print and Copy Services.

Looking for more information?

If you have any questions, we're happy to find you an answer. Call the Music Department Office 360-650-3130, or view the directory of faculty and staff.