All WWU students are eligible for music scholarships, regardless of major. In order to receive priority consideration for scholarship awards, incoming students must perform an Entrance Audition during primary audition dates.
Incoming and New Students
Scholarships are awarded to all incoming/new students through the completion of an Entrance Audition. Students who missed the primary consideration deadline are still encouraged to submit an audition as scholarship funds may become available.
Scholarships are awarded to incoming students based on the following factors:
- demonstrated skill-level in an applied audition on an instrument or voice
- academic achievement and professionalism
- departmental needs
- total number of applicants on an instrument, in area, or in department
- financial need
- award availability and criteria
All returning students are eligible for scholarships based on merit, progress, and growth during their time in a major ensemble and/or private instruction.
Anyone enrolled in applied lessons and ensembles—regardless of major—is eligible to apply. Music Education students completing their student teaching internship next year are eligible for consideration as well.
Applications are due by midnight on June 1. Awards will be offered within two weeks after that.
Incoming/new students will be notified of scholarship results via email after the conclusion of our primary audition dates. Returning students will be notified through their official western email the week following finals Spring quarter. Please contact Lee Anne Frahn with any questions regarding this process.
The Western Washington University Department of Music is grateful for the many generous donors who support our students through the following scholarship funds:
- Ada and Don Walter Endowment Fund
- Albert C. Shaw Music Education Scholarship
- Arthur C. Hicks Piano Scholarship
- Brass Performance Scholarship Endowment
- Christopher Bianco Music Scholarship
- Dee Bergholz Music Scholarship
- Dorothy Kirk Westman Scholarship in Music
- Dr. Willard A. and Anne W. Brown Music Endowment
- Ford Hill Piano Scholarship
- Frances Jean Miller Endowment
- Gene Zoro Clarinet Scholarship
- Gregory Cox Music Scholarship
- Guelker-Cone Family Concert Choir Leadership Endow
- Hall-Stout Memorial Endowment
- Jeffrey Gilliam Piano Scholarship Endowment
- L. Mildred Hurd Memorial Scholarship
- Lloyd Walworth Music Scholarship
- Murray Music Scholarship
- Music Department Scholarship
- Music Merit Department Scholarship
- Patricia S. Woods Day Music Scholarship
- Peter A. Botting Scholarship
- Richard Castillo Memorial Scholarship
- Rhoda Carrick Keagle Music Scholarship
- Sanford Piano Scholarship
- String Scholarship
- Terry Clark Music Scholarship
- The Jazz Project Scholarship
- Virginia Hunter Voice Scholarship
- Western Voices
- Wilhite Family Music Scholarship
- William D. Cole Scholarship
- Woodwind Scholarship