Auditions for Sonata Escondida
All auditionees and performers must be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination is required to audition.
The play will be performed live in the DUG Theatre on the campus of Western Washington University in early February 2022. See below for detailed performance dates.
We are seeking actors of all genders and sizes. Artists of the Global Majority (BIPOC) are especially encouraged to audition. Copies of the script are available for 1-2 hour check-outs in the Theatre and Dance Office (PA395).
Characters in the play
Plays piano very well, very still waters that run deep, loves very hard, birth mother to Elizabeth, speaks stronger Spanish than Luis, thrives in her company, working on being a more connected parent, struggles with communicating, uses she/her pronouns
Curious, patient, unafraid of truths, a referee in her household, loving, holds infinite grace for both of her mothers, birth daughter to Margaret but chose to live with Sam, uses she/her pronouns
Sam, 40s or up
Artistic, patient, dry humor, a parent to Elizabeth, values honesty, not a fan of secrets, uses she/her pronouns
Passionate, artistic, a charming arrogance, persistent, struggles with conviction and accountability, trying to pull himself out loneliness, uses he/him pronouns
Rehearsal and Performance dates
- Rehearsals will be held Tuesdays through Saturdays starting January 4, 2022.
- Rehearsals will be from 6 to 9 p.m. on weekdays; and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays.
- All day technical rehearsals may be held the weekend of January 29, 2022
- Dress Rehearsals will be held from 6 to 10 p.m., from January 31 to February 3
- Performances are February 4, 5, 9, 10, 11 and 12.
- There will be two show days on the 5th and the 12th.
- Rehearsals and Performances will be held in person, following Covid-19 Safety guidelines
Please read the instructions carefully before submitting your audition.
Please submit by noon (12 p.m.) Pacific Daylight Time on Thursday, October 7.
Instructions for auditioning
- Choose one monologue, 1-2 minutes in length, modern and written in the past 10 years.
- Film your work
- Do your best to find a quiet and well-lit space with a neutral background if possible.
- We prefer a landscape orientation with a full body or ¾ body in the shot.
- Please slate your speech (your name, and the play and playwright of your monologue) and include the slate and monologue as a single uninterrupted shot.
- If you are using a YouTube or Vimeo link, make sure the permissions are set so anyone with a link can see the video. If videos are set to private, they will not be able to be considered for auditions.
- Deadline for submissions is Thursday, October 7 at noon (12 p.m.) PDT/Los Angeles time. All auditions will be screened starting at that time, so no late submissions will be accepted.
- The callback list will be announced on Friday, October 8.
- Students are responsible for checking their emails for information about callbacks.
- Callbacks will be held in person, in PAC 399 on Sunday, October 10 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- With the support of the department and the WWU Covid-19 Support Team, this production requires all student performers to be vaccinated, regardless of exceptions/waiver status.
- Participants will be expected to prove their vaccination status by either presenting their physical vaccination card or a clear and readable photograph of the front and back of the card.