Design students garner laurels at University College Designers Association competition
Western Washington University’s Department of Design is proud to announce that 2022 graduates, Isabel Barni, Jacqueline Karis, Sybil Roberts, Joshua Shinoda, Charlie Sperry, Mavis Yao, and current seniors, Charlotte Offin and Daniel Geiszler, have won awards for projects developed in their classes last year.
The judges of the annual UCDA Design Awards have evaluated 775 print and digital entries, awarding 13 Gold Awards, 27 Silver Awards, and 111 Awards of Excellence. The selected work will be exhibited as part of the UCDA Design Conference in Santa Ana Pueblo, New Mexico. It will be available for viewing starting October 16, 2022. Winners will be recognized during the conference with certificates being mailed after the conference. The following projects are being honored:
Projects developed in Professor Kacey Morrow’s Senior Seminar class
- Joshua Shinoda won an Excellence Award for Blackity Black, a lifestyle brand and deck of cards celebrating black excellence.
- Joshua Shinoda and Charlie Sperry won an Excellence Award for POV, a hypothetical conference bra presented by Google bringing awareness to screen time.
- Isabel Barni, Sybil Roberts, and Mavis Yao won an Excellence Award for Unfazed, an inclusive sex education campaign and subscription service.
Projects developed in Associate Professor Paula Airth’s Graphic Design 2 class:
- Charlotte Offin won a Silver Award for Handwerk Brand Identity and an Honorable Mention Award for Remedy Cocktail Club Brand Identity and Packaging.
- Daniel Geiszler won an Excellence Award for Picnic Mercantile Branding and Packaging.
- Jacqueline Karis won an Honorable Mention Award for Avenue Bread Blueberry Muffin Packaging.
Pictured above: Charlotte Offin and Daniel Geiszler
Below: Project examples by Charlotte Offin and Daniel Geiszler